The public transportation department of Sydney Australia, Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW), identified a need to free up parking spaces for commuters across their network of train and bus stations. To do this in a seamless manner that would not disrupt the customer experience, they decided to deliver a ticketless solution for entry and exit to their Park & Ride parking lots. To confirm that each parking customer has traveled on public transport, there was also a requirement to integrate with TfNSW’s smartcard ticket system – Opal card.
TfNSW, together with Wilson Parking, chose TIBA Parking Solutions to deliver this cutting-edge technology.
HOW IT WORKS
To qualify for free Transport Park & Ride parking, the parking customer must:
• Be the holder of a valid Opal card
• Park in a dedicated Transport Park & Ride parking facility
• Tap on and tap off with their Opal card to complete a trip on public transport
• Use the same Opal card to tap out of the parking lot
In order to deliver this customer experience, the TIBA ticketless system does the following:
• Parking location and space availability is displayed from an integrated LED sign to attract commuter parkers.
• On entry, TIBA’s license plate recognition (LPR) system reads each vehicle’s number plate to provide access, there is no need for the driver to stop and take a ticket. The process takes less than 2 seconds and is seamless to the driver.
• On exit, the LPR system matches the number plate to the vehicle’s entry time and calculates the applicable parking fee. If the customer has taken a valid trip on public transport using their Opal card, they simply tap their Opal card on the integrated reader and free exit is provided.
• Parking customers that have stayed longer than 20 minutes and have not used public transport simply pay the applicable fee with their credit card on the integrated readers at the exit. A contactless credit card reader is available to provide a “Tap & Go” experience for both commuter and non-commuter parking customers.
• Each TIBA Park & Ride location is managed with TIBA SPARK. This cloud-based management system provides remote control over single or multiple locations through a user-friendly graphical interface to monitor system status as well as remotely issuing tickets and/or opening barrier gates.
TRANSPORT PARK & RIDE LOCATIONS
TfNSW is running the Park & Ride solution as a trial at selected locations, that have been identified through surveying as key areas to increase commuter parking availability.
• Ashfield Park & Ride is located approximately 11km to the west of Sydney’s central business district (CBD) and provides over 230 dedicated commuter bays with 2 entry lanes and 2 exit lanes.
• Kogarah Park & Ride is located approximately 18km to the south of Sydney’s CBD and provides over 250 dedicated commuter bays with 1 entry lane and 1 exit lane.
• Seven Hills Park & Ride is located approximately 35km to the northwest of Sydney’s CBD and provides over 1,500 dedicated commuter bays across 2 sections comprising of 2 entry lanes and 4 exit lanes.
THE FUTURE OF TRANSPORT PARK & RIDE
TIBA’s world class technology in the pilot locations has brought a new ease of use for TfNSW parking customers. The management of each parking facility through TIBA’s SPARK system means that control of each location is fully scalable.
TfNSW manages nearly 600 million annual trips across their transport system. Their network of stations is serviced by nearly 400 parking stations.
Following a successful pilot program, the intention is to roll-out this ticketless solution to each of their networks ‘high-demand’ locations on a systematic basis.